Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Once upon a snowy day...

Kansas City is having it's first big snow of the year as I sit here writing this post.  We had heard warnings for days that it might snow, blizzard even, but if you're like me, you take the weather reports with a grain of salt.  In the midwest, the weather changes as fast as a pregnant woman's emotions!  (Good analogy, eh?)  I woke up a few times in the night thinking it was awfully light outside and at some point realized it was so light because the street lights were reflecting off the falling snow.  My first thought was "Please, oh please, let there be a snow day at work!  I'm non-essential!  You don't need me!"  Unfortunately, this prayer wasn't answered and after a 2 hour drive that generally takes 20 to 30 minutes, I'm here at work.

View of our backyard on 1/10/11.
Our patio furniture on 1/11/10.

Since my last post, we've had some excitement here at work.  My coworker, Savannah, gave birth to twins on 1/1/11!!  The twins were quite a bit early as Savannah was only at 28 weeks and are currently at Children's Mercy in the NICU.  Savannah keeps a blog and lets us all know that the babies are progressing well.  The pictures I've seen are adorable too!  Here at work, we've been brainstorming ways we can help Savannah and her husband while they are busy seeing the girls in the hospital everyday.  I won't mention them here since she may read the post, but I will say that she would never ask us to do any of this which makes it even more fun to do!  We're all pulling for the babies to go home as soon as they possibly can!

As of yesterday, I am 28 weeks and beginning the dreaded third trimester!  The nesting phenomena has officially hit me and is driving me more than a little insane.  Over and over in my head swirls the phrase, "What else do we need for the baby's nursery??"  Have I mentioned we don't even have the room painted, let alone set up?  We did replace the horrible dresser I told you about with a nice new one that I think will be a great piece for her to use as she gets older.  We have a rocker/recliner too but now I'm focused on ambiance.  How can we make that room cozy and happy?  My husband probably thinks I've lost my mind!  Thankfully baby showers are coming up in the next month or so and I won't have to keep bothering Robin...until I figure out what we don't have and need.

28 Weeks.  This might be the least flattering picture I've seen in a while...

I'm feeling great these days.  My feet are hurting quite a bit so I stay off them as much as possible when at home.  I tried a bath in our gimundus (I've been trying to fit that word into a blog for a while...it's Marsha's favorite) bath tub but it's so big, the hot water ran out, and I couldn't stay there too long.  Plus, laying back to wash my hair is possible but sitting back up is not.  I probably looked like a beached whale!  One issue a lot of pregnant ladies experience is heart burn.  I've been blessed in that I don't have it very often and not so bad at all (knock on wood).  Usually mine comes if I haven't eaten and normally around 4 or 5 p.m.  If the old wives tales are true, I guess our baby will be a baldy when she's born!  Don't curse me for not having the heart burn issue if you're experiencing it.  Need I remind you of how sick I was in the first trimester?  That was my body paying it forward!

I feel like I am all belly now.  If I look at me from the front, sure, I notice I'm a little rounder in the face, softer in the arms, bigger in the chest, but not much else has changed.  When I turn to the side, though, I feel like I'm looking at a stranger.  I find myself watching my belly dance from side to side quite a bit and thinking how strange it is to have a human in there.  I haven't experienced her having hiccups but if she doesn't like how I'm sitting or laying down, she sure lets me know!  Everyday I wonder what she will be like, who she will take after more, and what habits of ours she will develop.  Mostly, I would say pregnancy has done me a world of good and has been a great experience.  Count me in for at least one more baby down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment