Monday, September 13, 2010

Introducing Baby Sol!

If you're reading this post, no doubt you've already heard our good news.  Baby Sol is on the way!  Since both Robin and I have family and friends in far flung areas, I thought it would be fun to keep a blog of our experiences leading up to Baby Sol's arrival and what happens when we become first time parents.

I think I'll start by answering some common questions that we've been getting.  Here we go:

9/13/10 - 11 Weeks
When did you find out?  I took the first test August 2nd while Robin was at work.  I took a half day and met him at home with a bib that said "I (heart) Daddy."  We had everything confirmed at the doctor later that week.  We are ecstatic!  A couple of weeks ago we finally got to hear Baby Sol's heartbeat which was by far the coolest thing I've heard in a long time and I mimic that sound a lot.  The baby still looked like a little blob but the sonographer said he or she has a big head.  I really just wanted her to turn around and take a look at my husband.  Perhaps that would explain why the baby has a big head!  Haha!

When is the baby due?  Our first due date was April 10th but I was moved up to April 3rd because the baby is measuring larger.  I'm anticipating a late baby but I comfort myself and stick with the April 3rd due date.

When will you find out the gender?  We do want to know the gender and will find out around Halloween.

What names are you thinking?  Robin and I have had our names picked for over a year now.  Even when we weren't attempting to have kids, we were naming them!  Unfortunately for you, we aren't sharing our names with anyone though a few people have heard them because we knew they wouldn't share.  We don't want any influence on what we like or dislike so for now, we refer to the baby as Pablo.  Yes, Pablo.  If it's a girl, we'll call it Pabla, according to Robin.  He's truly nuts.

We told my parents with a scavenger hunt!
When did you start telling everyone?  I told my bosses at the beginning of week 8 because I've been so sick.  They very excited and I feel so blessed to have this job.  Last weekend we told our families the good news.  Everyone had a different reaction but they were all positive and some were even comical.  My mom screamed and hugged us both while my dad looked flabbergasted.  My Grandpa was really funny.  He said congratulations then followed up with, "Whatever you do, if it's a boy don't name it after me.  I hate my name.  And don't name it after my sister, Ines, either.  She hates her name too."  Robin's dad cried when he finally realized Robin was telling him we were expecting and his family cheered.  We told our friends this weekend at a bbq.  Most of them said they noticed I hadn't been drinking but they weren't all that surprised I didn't have a drink in front of me; I haven't been drinking much this year anyway.  Overall, the reactions have been really great!

How is your stomach issue now that you're pregnant?  The funny thing is my colitis is basically gone.  I haven't had an issue whatsoever since about the 6th week.  I am allowed to take my meds but I've been VERY sick with my pregnancy so I haven't bothered to try.  Instead, I have my face in a toilet frequently enough that I'm on some anti-nausea meds.  They mostly work but other days they just don't.  I never know how I'll feel which is really odd and annoying and instead of having "morning" sickness, mine is literally 24 hours a day.  I even wake up in the middle of the night.  My pregnancy has been nothing like both of my mom's though she craved fruit and that's something I eat constantly now.  Everyone reminds me that this will be worth it but right now, all I can think of is what tomorrow will bring. 

Was this planned?  This isn't a super common question but most people are pretty surprised that we're pregnant to begin with so I think it crosses their minds.  The truth is yes, we've been working on this since earlier this year.  We just didn't tell many people because we didn't want the pressure.

So I guess these are the most common questions I've gotten so far.  Robin has been really great and that's why I keep saying over and over on FB that he's the best.  He knows when I don't feel good that there's nothing much I can do but lay around and pray it passes.  He cleans, he cooks, he runs out to get something I need or want, and he carries the really heavy stuff.  He even lets me have hormonal moments where I bawl or scream with very little reaction.  I am so happy to have this man in my life and I really can't wait to see him as a Daddy.  He's gonna be really great!

No comments:

Post a Comment