Saturday, March 19, 2011

Our Cozy Nursery Nook

I had no idea that creating the perfect nursery would be such a challenge.  I didn't really have a vision going into this because I've never been the one to picture myself being a Mom.  I guess I assumed it would happen but I never really thought about it much.  This is the same thing that we went through with my wedding.  "What do you want?"  That question was purely irritating because I didn't know!  Same thing here.  What I DID know is I wanted the little room to feel cozy and comfortable for both baby and her Mommy and Daddy.  Oh, and I wanted to limit the amount of pink everywhere.  It's just not my favorite color!

The first thing we did was pick out the crib and dresser which I've told you about in posts quite a while ago.  Dresser number 2 looks great with the crib and we have the rocker recliner now, too.  All are dark browns and I have to admit I love that chair.  Good thing since I'm sure I'll spend lots of time there in the coming months! 

Then we set out to decide what bedding and wall color we wanted simultaneously.  We started by looking into gender neutral bedding.  Let's just say it was less than thrilling and when we saw how cheap we could get some of the bedding, we decided to go all out with the girl theme.  That's when we stumbled across this beautiful paisley bedding.  It was purple, white, and sage green, absolutely perfect for what we wanted.  The set was more expensive than planned but we loved it so much we thought we'd splurge.  We picked out the perfect purple for the walls, painted the trim white, and we had a beautiful little girl's room.  However, the bedding went out of stock EVERYWHERE.  I mean that literally.  Even the manufacturer didn't have it!  So, we found a cheaper option with the same colors.  Thankfully, I really like the bedding and it's really pretty with the wall color, too.

Next we had to decide on decorations.  I originally thought we could find vintage post cards online and frame them when they got here.  Think floral but not exceptionally girly.  We found some cards I loved but then we stumbled across a site, http://www.dalidecals.com/.  We fell in love with this decal of a dandelion blowing in the wind and eventually settled on it as our major decoration.  It turned out to be really easy to install and it looks great!  Plus it's unique and goes along with the bedding in that the bedding has little dragon flies on it and then you have the flower plus the wind effect...it's just awesome!  Robin built me a side table to put by the rocker and this will be extremely handy, I'm sure.  It looks great and I really like the size!

After our two big showers, we finally set to work getting things organized and in place.  This took me DAYS.  I washed all of the clothing, bedding and blankets then organized them by size.  I had to have my husband help me put them away as it was completely overwhelming.  He also helped me organize all of the baby items that we knew she'd need like changing items, bibs, shoes, extra sheets, and the list goes on.  We had to purchase a book case for all of her books and a few little nick nacks but I'm not complaining.  I love books as you know and it's fun to sit there and think of all the times I'll get to read her stories down the road.  I can also imagine my husband sitting there reading with her and doing all of the character voices.  It will be a great thing to hear before bedtime.

Finally, we put up the decorations aside from family photos that we'll add when she's here and the room is gorgeous.  I don't know how we pulled it off but it's cozy and comfortable, just what I would have said I wanted had I known what that even was!  I've posted pictures below for you to see, though I really feel like they don't do the room justice.  Atlas has even taken to laying on the rug in front of her crib, just as we thought he would.  Seems like the whole family loves the room!

View from the door
Nursing/Reading Area.  This is my favorite place!
Crib and Dandelion Decal...We love how this turned out!

My Mom painted my childhood rocking chair just for the baby!


1 comment: