Friday, March 11, 2011

When you're 9 months pregnant...

I have learned a great deal of things during my pregnancy that I didn't know could happen.  When I share these with other ladies, most often they didn't know these things could happen either, so today I'm going to share with you a few things I've learned.  I would say this is a post for the ladies by a lady and if you're male and reading this, well you just remember I warned you first!

1)  When you're 9 months pregnant, it's a chore to walk 10 minutes to and from you car in the parking lot (which is uphill...not even kidding).  I equate the feeling to hiking uphill for hours.  My feet begin to really hurt.  My lower legs cramp.  I sound like I've smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years as I chug my way up to the car.  A turtle passed me last week (not really but it makes for a good illustration).  This week, I finally gave up and started waiting for the shuttle.  The first day I got on the bus, a woman followed me on who is 35 weeks pregnant.  She'd been riding the bus for weeks.  I guess I held out as long as I could and you know what?  I like that bus!

2)  When you're 9 months pregnant, your wedding rings and other clothings items might not fit.  I had to stop wearing my rings about 2 weeks ago.  Since then, no fewer than 5 women (WOMEN) have looked at my belly, glanced at my naked lefthand ring finger, and then looked me in the face and made it clear I was a horrible person for being pregnant and unmarried.  Too bad they didn't look closer and see the ring lines from the times I attempted to get those damned rings on that morning!  Look ladies, if you can judge another woman so strongly, don't you think that puts your character under extreme scrutiny?  These looks hurt my feelings but I defiantly smiled back...and sniffled after they were well out of earshot.

I also have two pairs of shoes that fit now.  I didn't know that could happen either!  The two pairs are my grey mocasins and my new tennis shoes.  Nothing else works!  Oh...and I had to buy another size bra.  I had no idea these puppies would grow THIS much!  If you think your maternity clothes will last throughout your pregnancy, think again.  My belly is starting to protrude from the bottom which makes me extremely thankful for layering tank tops.  Not so stylish?  Sue me.

3)  When you're 9 months pregnant, you're of one of two minds.  Mind #1 says to their doctor, "Yes, please check me out (down there) to tell me how I'm doing so I can pretend I know when this baby will be here!"  Mind #2 says to their doctor, "Don't even think about it!  I don't want to know!"  I am of the latter mind.  My reasoning is simple.  First, she's going to see plenty of me down there in a few weeks and I am in no rush to share all of that with her now.  Second, just because you're a few centimeters dilated doesn't mean the baby will come anytime soon.  Keep that in mind ladies.

4)  When you're 9 months pregnant, you waddle and don't realize you're doing it.  If you're lucky, your husband has a sense of humor, jumps in front of you in the kitchen, waddles side to side, and tells you that you are all part of a duck family now.  I'd say I made this up...except that it happened...in my kitchen...and it was my husband!  Yes, ladies, it's time to have a sense of humor.  You go on pretending you don't waddle.  The rest of us will laugh behind your back!

5)  When you're 9 months pregnant, you truly do lose all of the energy you gained in the second trimester.  For me, this happened almost immediately even though I was sleeping well until this week.  Exhaustion is the name of the game these days!  I'd love to tell you that it seems to get better but it's quite the opposite in my experience.  Between multiple late night potty breaks, leg/foot cramps, and repositioning every 20 minutes, good luck getting much rest my friend.  BUT, take this with a grain of salt.  This is excellent training for when the baby arrives.  It's like your body is the drill sargeant and you're just the peon recruit.  Do what your body tells you and you'll survive!

6)  When you're 9 months pregnant, you will have already invested a fortune in panty liners and Kleenex (with lotion).  Okay, not everyone may have these issues but I have and I didn't know a thing about them.  First came the need for panty liners.  Things are different, much different, and they necessitate a panty liner...or feel as though you wet yourself daily.  I'll take the liner, please!  Second came the stuffy nose.  I cannot tell you how many boxes of Kleenex (with lotion) I have gone through since I started this pregnancy.  It's unholy.  It's unreal.  It's an Earth saving crusaders nightmare!  Along with this, plan to have a good pocket antibacterial with you or people look at you like you've got a disease and you're going to spread it to them.  Pretty sure pregnancy isn't contagious but others might not agree.

I am absolutely positive there is more I can share.  Is there anything that has happened to you that you didn't know would happen??  Post it here!  Why not?  I sure WISH someone had told me to save up a small fortune for panty liners and Kleenex (with lotion)!

No comments:

Post a Comment